The Employers of Migrants Survey assesses customer satisfaction with services provided by INZ, and the benefits and issues associated with employing migrants. This survey also monitors whether INZ meets the needs of employers, including their knowledge of work related immigration policies and the settlement services available to migrants.
Employers in New Zealand who had contacted an INZ relationship manager were selected to take part in the 2010 Employers of Migrants Survey. These employers were included because they were likely to have migrant employees and they had experience with services provided by the INZ relationship managers.
In total, 369 employers participated in the 2010 survey.1 Of them, 99 percent employed at least one migrant employee at the time of the 2010 survey. The remaining 1 percent reported that they had employed at least one migrant employee in the last 12 months.
This report provides the high-level findings from the 2010 Employers of Migrants Survey regarding customer satisfaction with Immigration New Zealand (INZ) relationship managers.