This publication provides information for parents and whānau and looks at: the benefits of Māori immersion education, what to expect, what children learn, preparing your child for kura, and supporting your child's language development.
• Rangatahi number approximately 126,000 in 2011 and are projected to grow to more than 143,000 by 2026.
• Young people with higher qualifications generally have higher levels of incomes. NonMāori tend to earn more than Māori youth.
• Rangatahi educational outcomes are worse than for non-Māori youth, however they are improving.
• Employed rangatahi, especially males, are predominantly in lowerskilled occupations.
• In 2011, 22.4% of rangatahi were not in education, employment or training compared to 9.1% of non-Māori youth.