The Business of Ageing Project highlights the contribution older people will make to New Zealand’s economic competitiveness over the next 40 years. It looks at the growing value of their labour market participation, income, tax, spending, and voluntary/unpaid work.
Two project reports have been produced.
- The Business of Ageing: Realising the Economic Potential of Older People in New Zealand: 2011 - 2051; and
- The Business of Ageing: 2013 Update
This report aims to highlight the value of older workers to employers. It aims to stimulate discussion and a better understanding of the potential of this growing consumer market for businesses. For policymakers and commentators it offers evidence of a different view of the contribution of older people in the coming decades.
They find that:
- more older people will participate in the workforce;
- the economic value of older people's paid and unpaid work will increase;
- older people's contribution to tax revenue will increase; and
- the mature consumer market will become more important.